The current flag of Eritrea was adopted on December 5, 1995. It uses the basic layout of the flag of the Eritrean People's Liberation Front. The wreath with upright olive branch symbol was derived from the 1952 flag.
The flag is dominated by a red triangle extending from the hoist to the fly, with complementary green and blue triangles above and below. Green stands for the fertility of the country; blue stands for the sea (Red Sea); and red for the blood lost in the fight for freedom. In the red triangle, a yellow wreath symbol with 14 leaves on each side derived from the 1952 flag replaces the yellow star of the EPLF flag.