This structure has been used in alchemical contexts as a general
sign for the art of alchemy. Rudolf
Steiner adopted it in modern times, and now it is closely associated
with Steiner's anthroposophy.
The symbol has also been found engraved around 1000 B.C. on a rock face in Uxmal, Central America (refer to the section on "Ancient American ideograms" in the Appendices).
In modern Western ideography it is used in electricity contexts for a certain type of winding of electrical motors.
For similar structures, turn to in Group 23 and in Group 30.
See also in Group 27.